Saturday, June 14, 2008

Quilting

A project I have always wanted to tackle was quilting. I used to sew quite a bit, but as the children got bigger, my personal space dwindled. I had no place to set my stuff up and leave it until the project was finished. Therefore, I didn't start projects. Last evening we bought most of the supplies for three quilts. One (after Andrea was finished making choice) large project and two small. I chose a 3 color log cabin for Andrea to do, she couldn't settle on 3 colors so....it is 7. She wanted something that is referred to as shabby chic, something I can't even pronounce properly. We actually started sewing on hers and it is coming together very nicely. Joanna and Krista's are just simple block patterns with dogs as the theme. The colors are very bright and lively. They did not go with me but are very satisfied with the choices I made.

Going to the fabric store is an adventure. Serious craftpersons tend to be kindred spirits and when you are not in a hurry, you can always find someone to trade stories with. There were several of us, so we were in the cutting line for a long time. The girls picked up a conversation with a lady that went through the line twice. She told her quilting story and was very excited to see young girls with a desire to learn the craft. Briana made a purse when she was younger, but the other girls have never sewed. It is high time I got about the business of teaching my girls a necessary skill.

Joanna, as I knew she would, fell quite nicely into the process. She loved it and I think she will be very good at it. Andrea actually sewed alot of her stuff. Other that her Mario Andretti moments, she did fairly well. This is great fellowship for all of us. The Hannahs and Grandma Maroletti are helping us. Grandma is very good at it and has made several quilts. I think we are making memories that will stay with the girls forever.

No comments: