Saturday, July 9, 2016

Lessons from my garden

Over the years I have frequently planted gardens, usually with no success.  I deduced it was probably my sandy soil. In an attempt to solve this, I decided to compost. My better half constructed a compost box out of reclaimed wood. For a year all of my plant based degradables were placed here.  Our leaves and grass went on top.  I allowed the decomposes to do their job for a year.  This spring, I planted 4 tomato  plants.  Oh my word, they have produced more than I thought possible. Today as I as I pruned I pondered these thoughts. 
We need to step out of our comfort zone. Because I had low expectations, I placed my plants too close together. The carrying capacity of the areas in my small box was not large enough to sustain the plants.  Some of the branches were unproductive.  They were comfortable hanging out in the shadow of the branches that were productive.  Isn't that what we do as Christians.  We stay in our groups and routines because it is comfortable.  I pruned many yellow branches that were no longer receiving their own energy from the sun because they were shaded.  I as the pastor of my small garden attempted to move these hidden branches around, but there was only so much space in the sun in that area.  This energy is important for growth, just as the Son is to us. (I Cor  9:11-12, Gal 6:4, Eph 5:8)
Sometimes we need to get rid of excess baggage.  I did this to my plants so that the productive portions could be more productive.  We need to cut out activities, people and things that suck our energy.  We too have a carrying capacity and it is limiting. Choose what is important and focus on those things, cut off those yellow branches.  (John 15)
Accept the differences of those in our ecosystem, they too play a role. Ok, so no one likes the decomposers, right?  However, they play a major role in the nutrition of plants. Appreciate those people in the background that supply what you need to be successful.  My daughter hates bees and runs when she sees one. But those bees allow for variation in the plants by cross pollinating. Those people that are scary or annoying are making you change, providing variation that make you able to survive.  Natural Selection is not an evil evolutionary process. (I Cor 12)
Learn from your mistakes. I won't list the mistakes I made with this small garden. I already have plans to make next years garden better. (Phil 3:12-14)  Share with others what you have learned (II Tim 2)

No comments: