Friday, September 21, 2007

Colombia day 2


Today is our second day in Colombia. I woke up at 6 am. As tired as I was I couldn’t sleep any longer. To begin with 6 is 7 Jacksonville time and this close to the equator, the son doesn’t gradually rise, it pops up. One minute it is dark and the next it is as bright as noon. It really wasn’t much different due to the light from the marquee shining through our window.

Jimmy and I went looking for a grocery store to buy water. I also needed a pair of sunglasses. We had 2200 pesos ( that sounds like more than it actually is ). I found a pair that I liked from a street vendor, but he didn’t have change. The guy next to him didn’t have change. One of the hotel employees took our 2000 peso and went to find change. He was gone 10 minutes and still didn’t have change. Finally the manager just handed us a 1000 peso. Jimmy is refusing to change money because the rate is 1800 to one dollar. Fortunately we have been able to use credit where we have needed to spend money, except for the sunglasses of course.

We spent the day (well into the night ) at Tulio’s house. He and his wife picked us up and cooked a great dinner for us. Actually several of the ladies in the church helped. It was a great time. I listened to a lot of Spanish. I don’t know if mine improved any but at least I am hearing it spoken.

Having a wonderful time in South America
Melody

No comments: